Pantone Color of the Year 2011!

Pantone announced the 'it' color for the up coming year.  The grand prize winner is.....

HONEYSUCKLE!! 


"While the 2010 color of the year, PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise, served as an escape for many, Honeysuckle emboldens us to face everyday troubles with verve and vigor. A dynamic reddish pink, Honeysuckle is encouraging and uplifting. It elevates our psyche beyond escape, instilling the confidence, courage and spirit to meet the exhaustive challenges that have become part of everyday life."
-Pantone

Let's look at some examples of how to use this bright cheery color in interiors, shall we?

{via Drake Design Associates}

The first interior I thought of was Jamie Drake's bedroom for Kips Bay 2007.  Jamie is the king of color and I remember him mentioning how much he ADORES pink in a seminar I attended while in college.  And I just ADORE Jamie's bold style!


{via Drake Design Associates}

"Pink is a seasonless color for me.  Are the cheeks of angels appealing only in the summer? 
Adding cerise pillows and accessories to a beige room or coral lamps to a gray space creates
 instant dazzle.  And lamp shades lined in pink will make everyone in proximity look like
they've just returned from the best vacation ever."
-Jamie Drake

{via Suzanne Kasler}

Recently, I've been noticing Suzanne Kasler using shades of pink in her interiors, like this funky teen's room.  (I read that the teen requested a hammock, so Suzanne custom made this hammock as a guest bed.  How fun would sleepovers for this lucky girl?)

{via Suzanne Kasler}
{via Suzanne Kasler}

{via Suzanne Kasler}

Sometimes pink can be just the right amount of 'punch' you need in a space like the above Suzanne Kasler entryway and book shelf.   If you want to add a dash of pink without committing to a pink wall or piece of furniture, books are the perfect answer!  Here are a few of my favorite pink books:


{In The Pink, Wacky Chicks, Fashion, Shocking}

"Pink can say a lot.  I like to pair hot pink with cinnamon brown; it becomes seductive. 
Bright pink mixed with oranges and purples is always a fun match."
 - Eve Robinson

So what do you think?  Is the color of the year spot-on chic or is it Pepto-Bismal dismal?



3 comments:

  1. I think it's a fine line. A part of me thinks Grandma Herdman's house (yes, another comment about her decor) but another part of me really likes it. Maybe not entire walls in the color, but a good pillow, rug or picture? Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized how much Grandma's house influenced me as a designer until I started this blog. Funny, huh? This is TOTALLY the color of our bedroom, Britt, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps this explains the wacko stripe fabric we got in. I was thinking there was no way to use it, but now am committed to find a place for it one of these days cuz I am all about facing troubles with verve and vigor!

    ReplyDelete