Can This Be Made Into A Room? Hermes Birkin

I have had this image on file for quite awhile now and every time I see it I fall in love all over again.  From the hint of a leopard pencil skirt, the gold chain bracelets, the gold nail polish, let alone the fabulous Birkin bag, I'm enamored with it all!  Sigh... how I adore Birkins.  I was tempted to ask my husband for a Birkin instead of a wedding ring, but once I tried on a few diamond rings I was hooked.  But a Birkin was a close second.  Let's see if we can't turn this into a room, shall we?

via weheartit

Nothing in the inspiration outfit really 'matches' but what makes it work is the play on different tones and shades of camel. I would wear this as my work uniform if I could, so let's make our room home office.  I would paint the room a shade of camel (I have to say camel because I can't bring myself to say... *cough* beige.) and install leopard print broadloom in a pattern similar to this one from Horchow.  The subtle leopard adds a hit of panache without being over-the-top.  I would then float a gorgeous Hollywood Regency style desk (Barbara Barry) in the center of the room and pair it with a Palladian chair in a caramel finish (Baker).  This is the chair equivalent of a Birkin bag.  Just like the bag, you can pair a Palladian chair with anything and it automatically adds a little je ne sais quoi and will never date.  Absolutely gorgeous.

 

Behind the desk, I would make a focal wall with a console chest (Hickory Chair) in the center, for office supplies, files, etc.  Above the chest I would add a over-sized mirror (Baker) and flank the chest/mirror combo with antiqued brass etageres, similar to the one above, by Phoebe Howard.  Fill the desk with accessories like a brass magnifying glass (Arteriors), cream leather storage boxes (Barbara Barry for Global Views), and add a cashmere throw or two (William Sonoma Home, I can't work unless I'm wrapped up in a blanket).  Top the room off with a mid-century inspired chandelier (Arteriors), and you have a polished home office!  Best part?  All of the elements in this room could be used in other areas of your home.  Move the mirror to the fireplace mantel, the etageres to the living room, or the desk to the master suite to use as a vanity!  It's always smart to think where else you could use an item down the road when you want to relocate or just switch things up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment