Can This Be Made Into A Room? NYTimes Winter 2010

One of the only good things about Winter is that it's an excuse to really dress fashionably.  It's a time to cover up and layer, which is something you just can't do when it's 80 degrees out.  To celebrate this change for the more fashionable, I'm designing a room inspired by this photo from the Winter edition of NYTimes Style Magazine.   Isn't it just ethereal? 

Winter Photo Shoot  for The New York Times Style Magazine.

I would use this look in a large living room with vaulted ceilings, two story windows and a large cast stone fireplace with a herringbone firebox.  I would flank the fireplace with two natural linen chesterfields (RestorationHardware) to add a clean fresh base for the room.  Chesterfields are definitely THE classiest sofas in history and will never date (good tip if you are looking to invest in a new sofa!).  Under the chesterfields, I would add a large and luxe sheepskin rug (Flokati.com) in tones of grey.  You know I'm a fan of fur!  Remember when I mentioned in this post about my Grandma being one of the most chic women I have ever known?  Well, she had a small sheep skin rug by the side of her bed and when I would go and visit, I remember laying on it after a long soak in her large garden tub.  It's one of my favorite memories of that home.  Anyway, I digress...



I interpret the rustic fence in the inspiration photo as naturally weathered woods.  I would add a vintage Indian cart (RestorationHardware) as a cocktail table and a x-based console (Arteriors) that reminds me of an old hitching post.  Include some cool wood pieces like a chunky log end table, a gnarly driftwood floor lamp, and some whimsical candlesticks (all from Arteriors) for rustic-ness. For the girly-ness of the chiffon dress, I would load the chesterfields full of delicate dusty pink pillows, all in different textures, all extremely feminine (and all from Eastern Accents) and add shimmering accents like the mercury glass hurricanes and a brass lotus flower (Arteriors).  The polished metals juxtaposed with the hearty woods will incorporate so much interest and personality in the space!  What vaulted-ceiling room would be complete without a chandelier?  The Durango 12 Light Chandelier from Arteriors tops off our feminine-rustic-winter-inspired room beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment